RUSSELL AND ED ROCK ON TOMIE , THE NEW CANON AND BALL
FOOT NOTE. The Israelis elsewhere other blogs have said that he is an anti-semetic person and should be arrested why well he thinks we should boycott Israel .THESE JEWISH ZIONISTS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT ,DO THEY ? THINK ABOUT IT .
When Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu played the race card in a final attempt to get out the vote last month, it displayed to all the world how such bigoted rhetoric has deep appeal in Israeli society: The effort was successful and swept him to yet another term as head of state.
As voters were going to the polls, he said on Israeli television that Palestinian citizens of the state (“Arabs” in Israeli terms) were “streaming in droves to the polling stations” and “right-wing rule [was] in danger.” At the time, surveys showed his rival Isaac Herzog leading, but the final tally gave Netanyahu a decisive victory.
Here we have a topic worthy of inquiry: How is it possible that the leader of a democracy can make such an openly racist appeal to voters? And what is it in Israeli society that responds to this kind of incitement?
The New York Times
View original post 586 more words
NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE ATLANTIC
For the past decade, Jeffrey Goldberg has peddled blatantly false war propaganda with disastrous consequences, fronted for the military-industrial machine, played a key PR role pushing America into war with Iraq, and advanced the agenda of the Israeli military-intel establishment—but he has never had to account for his failures and his lies. Put another way: If Judith Miller was a dweeby Ivy League graduate who worked as a detention camp guard holding Palestinian prisoners, and she never had to answer for her journalistic fraud after being exposed, she would be Jeffrey Goldberg.
THE RECOVERED HISTORY OF JEFFREY GOLDBERG
- In the early 1990s, Goldberg served as a prison guard at Ktzi’ot, Israel’s largest detention camp for Palestinian political prisoners. In an interview, Goldberg described his prison guard duty as “not … an entirely negative experience” and “hopelessly exotic for me.” The prison has long been criticized for its inhumane conditions, including frequent beatings, lack of drinking water and forced labor. Among the hundreds of books forbidden to prisoners at Ktzi’ot have been The Lord of the Rings and Hamlet.
- In his 2006 book Prisoners, Goldberg described a scene from Ktzi’ot in which his friend repeatedly hit a Palestinian prisoner in the head with a with a heavy, sharp-edged army radio, beating him to a bloody pulp, a beating that Goldberg “deduced was prompted by something [the prisoner] said.” Goldberg admits that he lied to cover up the crime: “I found another military policeman, and handed off the wobbling prisoner, who was by now bleeding on me. ‘He fell,’ I lied.”
- Goldberg also admitted he took part in beatings of Palestinian prisoners, butjustified it this way: “Unlike [Goldberg’s camp guard friend], I never hit a Palestinian who wasn’t already hitting me.”
- In 2012, Goldberg denied that he was ever a prison guard: “the actual title of my position was ‘prisoner counselor,’ believe it or not, which meant that I saw after the culinary, hygiene and medical needs of the prisoners.” Yet in his book, Goldberg explicitly states that he was more than just a counselor: “I was a ‘prisoner counselor,’ a job title that did not accurately reflect my duties in the related fields of discipline and punishment, but which did convey the notion that I was not meant to engage the prisoners solely with pepper spray and barked commands.” [ 1 ]
- In 1991, right after finishing his prison guard duty, Goldberg wrote an article for the Jerusalem Post titled “More tear gas, please?” in which he explicitly identified himself as an “Israeli” participating in the “armed administration” of Palestinians. “This leaves us, and by us, I mean Israelis of good will, in a quandary: We administer approximately two million people in the occupied territories…” In the same article, Goldberg mocked Palestinian suffering with crude jokes suggesting, for example, “Arab women … compete in ‘Miss Gaza Refugee Camp’ and ‘Miss Mother Who Sends Her Children into the Street to Catch Israeli Bullets with Their Heads’ contests.”
- After 9/11, Goldberg became one of leading “journalists” responsible for propaganda that drummed up unfounded terrorist fears in order to scare the public into war with Iraq. Goldberg was one of the key Bush administration media assets used to manufacture non-existent links between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda.
In 2002, Goldberg published a two-part fake scare story in the New Yorker alleging that the Shia Muslim group Hezbollah had penetrated deep into the United States and was, among other things, running a black market cigarette ring on American soil in order to finance its terrorist operations. Healso claimed that Iraq and Hezbollah were likely to attack Israel in retaliation for the impending U.S. invasion of Iraq: “Iraq will fire missiles at Israel—perhaps with chemical or biological payloads . . . But Hezbollah . . . might do Saddam’s work itself.” Goldberg won a $20,000 “International Investigative Reporting Award” from the Center for Public Integrity for the story.
That same year, in 2002, Goldberg published a New Yorker article—titled “The Great Terror”—that connected Al Qaeda to Saddam Hussein through a single extremely unreliable source: a jailed drug dealer provided by Kurdish intelligence. The London Observer interviewed this same prisoner and determined that he was “a liar” and his story “simply not true.” But that didn’t stop Dick Cheney, who “twice waved around that prisoner’s story in Jeffrey Goldberg’s piece . . . on Sunday talk shows in late 2002″ in order to sell the invasion to the American people.
- “The Great Terror” won the Overseas Press Club’s award for “best international reporting in a print medium dealing with human rights,” and was praised by former CIA director and active neocon James Woolsey, who called the story “a blockbuster.” Woolsey was also heavily cited and quoted in the article and, as some have speculated, might have helped Goldberg with some of the article’s “research.” [ 2 ]
- In 2007, David Bradley, owner of the Atlantic, was able to lure Jeffrey Goldberg away from his position at the New Yorker to work at the Atlantic by bribing Goldberg with a couple of ponies.
- A 2008 MRI scan of Jeffrey Goldberg’s brain revealed that photos of Ahmadinejad and Bin Laden lit up his ventral striatum, an area of the brain responsible for processing reward. Although Goldberg claimed to be puzzled by the MRI results, the implication was very clear: Exploiting fear of Iran and terrorism had brought Goldberg big career rewards. In the same experiment, a photo of Atlantic Monthly publisher David Bradley lit up a part of Goldberg’s brain normally triggered when a person looks at his own reflection in the mirror.
- In 2009, Jeffrey Goldberg suggested that American Jews who don’t agree with Israeli apartheid policies have given up their Jewish identity—they were no longer Jews, but “anti-Zionists with Jewish parents.”
- In 2012, Goldberg took part in a smear campaign initiated by AIPAC against liberal bloggers critical of Israel’s policies. Goldberg relied on a quote by a fake anti-Semitism “expert” later scrubbed from existence by the Washington Post to falsely accuse them of anti-Semitism.
- Goldberg’s shilling for Israel has become increasingly bizarre and fringe-nutcase, so much so that even former Bush admin lackeys and Iraq War boosters like Andrew Sullivan have started bashing him. Goldberg’s degeneration has reached a point where he now cites “birther” conspiracy theory websites as credible sources about alleged Iranian plots to destroy Israel.
I was on another mission this morning at the Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore when I walked past the open shelves in the Periodical Section and saw the cover of the current issue of The Atlantic Monthly.
Jeffrey Goldberg’s article “Is It Time for the Jews to Leave Europe?” jumped out at me. I really didn’t want my attention to be diverted from another research and writing project, but the Editors had me hooked with that headline. 90 minutes and 12 pages later, Goldberg answered the question he had posed:
I am predisposed to believe that there is no great future for the Jews in Europe, because evidence to support this belief is accumulating so quickly. But I am also predisposed to think this because I am an American Jew — which is to say, a person who exists because his ancestors made a run for it…
View original post 756 more words
there is no god .
People left homeless by the Nepal earthquake are spending a second night out in the open after the devastating tremor killed at least 2,500.
Mass cremations have been taking place all day as those left alive struggle to cope with the number who lost their lives.
The official death toll in the capital Kathmandu rose to 1,152 people but hundreds more are known to have died across the rest of the country after the 7.9 magnitude quake struck on Saturday.
The Kathmandu Post reported that up to 70% of houses in rural areas have been destroyed close to the epicentre in Gorkha.
Further fatalities were reported in India, Bangladesh and Tibet but there are fears the death toll will rise much further as rescue teams reach isolated areas.
On Sunday, a series of aftershocks – one of 6.7 – sent frightened residents in the devastated Kathmandu Valley running for open ground once again.
Rescue teams were forced to briefly pause, halting their frantic search for survivors among the rubble of flattened houses and temples across the country.
“Massive aftershock. A wall of a old house next to mine has collapsed now. Kathmandu is in shock again. People on streets,” one witness tweeted.
As the new tremor began Oxfam country director in Nepal Cecilia Keizer was forced to stop a live Sky News interview to run outside.
The aftershock also triggered fresh avalanches on Mount Everest, where at least 17 climbers were killed on Saturday – the worst-ever loss of life on the mountain.
Sky’s Neville Lazarus, who is in Kathmandu, said the mood on the street was becoming more tense as people become increasingly desperate for food and drinking water.
He said a large number of people are spending the night on pavements and in open ground around the Nepali capital in fear of further aftershocks.
The UK’s Department for International Development announced it was increasing the amount of emergency aid it is donating to £5m while the EU pledged €3m (£2.14m) and the US has also given $1m (£0.65m).
Britain will be sending a C-17 and a C-130 (Hercules) aircraft to help with the relief effort.
Pictures from the valley showed a number of UNESCO protected temples in Kathmandu and nearby Bhaktapur are among those which have collapsed.
Meanwhile, overflowing hospitals are struggling to cope, with doctors forced to treat many patients outdoors and medical supplies running low.
With the Nepalese government facing growing criticism over its response, international teams are stepping in to search and provide food and shelter to the homeless.
The UK has already deployed an eight-strong team to provide urgent humanitarian support and other countries, including India and Japan, are sending teams of emergency workers.
The quake, which hit about 50 miles (80km) east of the country’s second city Pokhara, was Nepal’s worst for 81 years and was particularly devastating as it occurred at a shallow depth of just seven miles.
Tremors were felt as far away as Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Friends and families of the missing have been using Facebook and Google’s post-disaster search tool, Person Finder, to appeal for information.
:: The Foreign Office has advised that any British Nationals in need of consular assistance call +44 (0) 207 008 0000 or text NEPAL to +447860010026.
I lived in Gaza for 9 months (September 2012 through May 2013) and I’m on a journey to return for an indefinite stay. Frankly, I want to move to Gaza. At the age of 61, friends and family understandably ask me WHY?!?
My blog Why Gaza? is my simple but inadequate attempt to provide an answer.
The following three questions, posed by a Professor of English at the Islamic University of Gaza, reveal a kernel of truth behind my desire to return to Gaza. Maybe if I can answer them, my friends and family will understand my “obsession,” as some have called it.
How has knowing Palestine and struggling for peace and justice in Palestine made me a better person?
How has the Palestinian cause made me aware of other struggles in my own community?
What does Palestine inspire in me?
Yes! I am a better person. I instinctively knew…
View original post 865 more words