this conviction is only the tip of the iceberg dave lee travis may not go down for long for this but there is a queue of others waiting to step forward and get justice whether it be in a crimminal court or civil.

Dave Lee Travis was facing a long jail sentence  last night after he was convicted of using his ‘Demi-god’ status to molest a young researcher at the BBC.

The ‘sleazy’ DJ thought he had a ‘perfect right’ to grope the young woman – who is now a successful TV personality in her own right. just as a matter of interest Lucy porter was working on this program though was she the subject of the attack ?we do not know honest we don,t.

He got away with it because the producer told of the attack did not bother to  take any action, a court heard.

Travis groped fondled the young woman backstage of of the Mrs Merton show

The BBC now faces being sued by  numerous women who claim DLT sexually abused them during his  career at the corporation.

Travis is also expected to face a number of law suits – including that of a woman who claims he attacked her when she was a ‘pre-teen’ in the 1970s.

The  former Radio 1 superstar joins Rolf Harris and Max Clifford as sex attackers convicted under Operation Yewtree, the £3million police investigation into historic crimes sparked by the death of Jimmy Savile.Travis was found not guilty of a second charge of indecent assault, and the jury was undecided on a third allegation, which was  recorded as a not guilty verdict.

The 69-year-old, stood impassive in the dock as the guilty verdict rang out.

The offence of indecent assault carries a maximum sentence of ten years in jail whichif made an example of he could have to serve.

Journalists asked Travis if he was ‘remorseful’ and if he was ‘sorry’ for calling his victim a liar, but the former DJ refused to answer questions, telling reporters: ‘I cannot say anything until Friday’

 Travis’s lawyer tried to suggest a custodial sentence would not be necessary, and that a fine or community service would be in order  , Anthony Leonard QC questioned whether such a punishment would be appropriate.

YEWTREE’S THIRD SCALP – THE MET POLICE OPERATION SINCE SAVILE

Travis is the third celebrity scalp to be claimed by sex crime inquiry Operation Yewtree.

The 69-year-old was the fourth figure with links to the entertainment industry to be arrested as part of the investigation, which has now seen a total of 17 people questioned by police.

Scotland Yard had faced questions over the success of the probe, which has produced three convictions – veteran entertainer Rolf Harris and PR guru Max Clifford are both serving prison sentences.

The investigation was launched in the wake of claims made against late DJ Jimmy Savile, who was exposed as one of the most prolific sex offenders in British history after an ITV documentary.

So far eight people – including comedians Jim Davidson and Freddie Starr – have been told that no further action will be taken against them, and another three, including broadcaster Paul Gambaccini, remain on police bail.

The other six have been charged. As well as the three convictions, former pop star Gary Glitter and ex-Radio One DJ Chris Denning are facing prosecution in separate cases. Driver David Smith was due to face trial but died before he could do so.

Adjourning his sentencing until Friday, he warned Travis: ‘You must understand that all my options remain open.’

The grey-haired broadcaster replied: ‘I understand. Thank you your honour.’

Released on bail, Travis – who previously branded the case a celebrity witch hunt – refused to apologise to his victim as he left court.  by his side Swedish wife of 43 years, Marianne, who coiled a supportive arm around him, he said: ‘I can’t say anything until Friday.’

Travis protested his innocence throughout the trial. He tried to dismiss his victims as ‘fantasists and liars’, but the jury heard the women were not hunting for fame or fortune and had no reason to blacken his name.

Once he was in the dock, the veteran broadcaster was branded a sexual predator and a ‘dirty old man’ who ‘liked to put his paws all over the girls.

Prosecutor Miranda Moore QC said: ‘The defendant, according to these ladies, simply seemed to act as if he had a perfect right to touch their breasts or put his hands in their clothing to grope them. He is an opportunist.’

Two years ago, Travis was so confident he would not be arrested that he declared those who claimed they were molested by Savile were simply ‘jumping on the bandwagon’. travis originally was a co worker and friend of jimmy

But then – after the Daily Mail was the first to reveal claims against him – more than a dozen women came forward to alleged Travis attacked them too.

He was the first Operation Yewtree suspect to come to court, but at his first trial in February he was cleared of molesting eight women and a 15-year-old girl during his 30-year BBC career.lack of factual evidence.

The woman told Travis’s trial that the assault in the mid 1990s was ‘unbelievably weird’ and she thought the former Top Of The Pops presenter (got a ‘sexual thrill’ from the incident

The jury failed to agree verdicts on two other women he was accused of attacking, and prosecutors decided to retry him on these two counts, plus a third count of indecent assault involving a researcher from the Mrs Merton Show who had come forward during his first trial but was too late to be added to the charges.

When told he faced a retrial, the veteran DJ was furious, declaring his ‘nightmare is going to go on’.

He was convicted of the 1995 assault but he was cleared of attacking a stage hand in 1990 at a pantomime production of Aladdin, who had claimed she was saved when The Chuckle Brothers unwittingly interrupted Travis as he lunged at her in his dressing room.

He was also cleared of sexually assaulting a newspaper journalist who had come to interview him in 2008 at his luxury Buckinghamshire home.

Travis’s accusers have so far not been young children, but yesterday a woman came forward to say he attacked her when she was a ‘pre-teen’ in the 1970s.

Speaking about the 1995 assault, former ‘Mrs Merton’ producer Peter Kessler told ITV news last night: ‘She was just shocked and quite breathless, as far as I can recall. But she was not saying I feel as though I’ve been violated or something like that.

‘It was really just like a surprisingly sleazy thing had happened.’

A BBC spokesman said: ‘The BBC is appalled by the crime Dave Lee Travis has been convicted of’, adding: ‘We can’t comment on potential civil claims.’

Travis touched me for a weird sexual thrill, says his victim

A TV personality lp? has told how Dave Lee Travis groped her for a ‘weird sexual thrill’ when she was a young researcher on the Mrs Merton Show.

She fled to her boss, BBC producer Peter Kessler, and told him: ‘Oh my God, Dave Lee Travis just grabbed my tits.’

But the allegation was not pursued by the corporation. The woman has since become a successful entertainer in her own right, and admitted in court that she has spoken publicly about Travis’s wandering hands.

She said she had added humour to make it ‘palatable for the audience’, and defended her choice, saying it was a ‘positive and healthy’ way for her to cope with the assault.

Despite speaking publicly about the assault in the past, the woman has not waived her legal right to anonymity as a victim of sexual assault. Last night her agent said she did not wish to say anything. No official complaint was ever lodged at the corporation, which has come under fire for turning a blind eye to Jimmy Savile’s abuse of girls and boys on its premises.

At the time of the assault, in January 1995, the victim was in her early 20s. Travis cornered her in a corridor and chastised her for smoking.

He told her: ‘You shouldn’t be smoking – think about what it is doing to your poor little lungs.’

Travis then touched her ribcage before sliding his hands up to her breasts in a ‘squeezing grope’. She said the assault ‘felt like ages’ but lasted about ten to 15 seconds before she escaped his clutches. ‘It was the weirdest thing that had happened to me,’ said the woman, who gave evidence without a screen, in view of Travis in the dock.

‘One minute I am meeting this radio DJ and the next minute I am being sexually assaulted by him.’

In his police interview, Travis accused the woman of ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ in a bid to boost her career.

‘It’s just good PR for her to have comments saying, “You know what? DLT groped her”,’ he told detectives.

‘I remember the days when people touched other people and you kick them in the b***s and say “don’t be silly”. You don’t take them to bloody court.’

The victim came forward during Travis’s first trial, but was too late to be added to the charges.

THE CASE AGAINST DAVE LEE TRAVIS – THE THREE CHARGES HE FACED AND THE JURY’S VERDICTS

INDECENT ASSAULT ON MRS MERTON SHOW CREW MEMBER – GUILTY  

A TV personality told how Dave Lee Travis groped her for his ‘weird sexual thrill’ backstage at the Mrs Merton Show.

She fled to her boss, BBC producer Peter Kessler, and told him: ‘Oh my God, Dave Lee Travis just grabbed my t*ts’.

Comedian Dave Gorman, who was a writer on the show, said he remembered hearing that the incident was ‘aggressive’ and not a ‘playful’ act

But no official complaint was ever lodged at the corporation which has come under fire for turning a blind eye to Jimmy Savile’s abuse of girls and boys on their premises.

Travis had a reputation for being a ‘bit of an octopus’ at the BBC studios in Manchester because he had ‘hands that go everywhere’, the woman said.

She was working on the spoof chat show when the ‘Hairy Cornflake’ cornered her in the corridor in the mid-1990s.

Seeing the victim, who was in her early 20s at the time, Travis chastised her for smoking.

He told her: ‘You shouldn’t be smoking think about what it is doing to your poor little lungs’.

Travis then touched her ribcage before sliding his hands up to her breasts in a ‘squeezing grope’.

The assault which ‘felt like ages’ lasted for 10-15 seconds before the ‘shaking’ victim escaped his clutches.

‘It was the weirdest thing that had happened to me,’ she said.

Comedian Dave Gorman said he had later heard that Travis had ‘grabbed’ the woman’s breasts.

He told the court: ‘My feeling was, if you think back to that time, the idea we’d call the police and say ‘Dave Lee Travis grabbed (the woman’s) tits’, it wouldn’t have gone anywhere.’

INDECENT ASSAULT ON PANTOMIME STAGE HAND – NOT GUILTY 

Travis was accused of assaulting a stage hand at the Hawth theatre in Crawley, West Sussex, where he was playing Aladdin’s evil uncle, Abanazar, in a pantomime in 1990.

The crew member said he pinned her to a door and ‘engulfed’ her, touching her ‘from top to toe’ as he towered over her.

She told how she felt ‘shaken up’, ‘humiliated’ and ‘scared’ after being cornered by the former DJ.

The Chuckle Brothers, real names are Paul and Barry Elliott, said they had not heard about the claims, we know nothing.

The Chuckle Brothers, who shared the bill alongside Travis in the production, said they had never heard about the alleged attack.again saying we knew nothing.

The comedy duo, whose real names are Paul and Barry Elliott, said it was a complete shock when the allegations later emerged.though paul said” our memories are not what they used to be are they barry”” eh what you say paul”

Paul Elliott told the jury: ‘The first that I heard about it was in the newspapers and it was a complete shock.’we knew nothing.

He also dismissed claims that female staff had to be chaperoned around the venue and were advised to stay away from Travis’s room.NO  no ,we knew nothing of that.

He said: ‘never saw anything like that. We were sharing the bill and we would have been told of anything that was going on.’wouldn,t we barry?

Travis was cleared by the jury of this charge

The pair starred alongside Travis at the Hawth theatre in Crawley, West Sussex, at the time of one alleged assault, which Travis was cleared of today

SEXUAL ASSAULT ON A NATIONAL NEWSPAPER REPORTER – JURY FAILED TO REACH A VERDICT, NOT GUILTY VERDICT RECORDED  

A national newspaper reporter told  how Travis grabbed her breasts after pestering her to strip off for a photo shoot at his home.

Travis was said to have invited the 24-year-old to his home to reminisce about a Radio 1 Christmas party with stars including Jimmy Savile and John Peel, for a nostalgia feature.

He allegedly told the young woman she had a ‘good figure’ during his first attempt at persuading her to pose for a ‘tacky’ picture.

When Travis again tried to talk her into a photo shoot, she desperately tried to put him off by blurting out ‘my boobs are not big enough’.

The woman claimed Travis then kept his hands on her breasts for four seconds before pulling them away and carried on as if nothing had happened.

She added that she could ‘see it in his eyes’ before Travis groped her, and that he ‘took his chance’.

The jury failed to reach a verdict on this charge and a not guilty verdict will be recorded.

With his quirky catchphrases and over-the-top personality, Dave Lee Travis came to personify Radio 1 in its heyday when it pulled in massive audiences and its DJs were almost as famous as the artists whose records they played.

DLT – whose real name is David Patrick Griffin – learned his trade in clubs and on pirate radio as well as a stint touring the United States with Herman’s Hermits before joining the BBC in the late 1960s.

The larger-than-life star, who drove a yellow pontiac he called the Flying Banana, even had a hit single of his own when his version of the trucking song Convoy GB, attributed to Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks, was a top five hit in 1976.

It was a parody of CW McCall’s hit which had been in the charts just weeks earlier and saw him guesting on TOTP himself, dressed as a superhero with his face covered.

But by the early 1990s, audiences for Radio 1 were falling and plans to bring in a new generation of DJs – who would bring a new generation of listeners with them – were under way, with controller Matthew Bannister wielding the axe for many familiar voices thought to be out of step with the plan to appeal to younger audiences.

DLT jumped before he was pushed when he quit Radio 1 live on air in 1993, telling listeners that ‘changes are being made here that go against my principles and I just cannot agree with them’.

He kept working, with stints on stations including Classic Gold, Garrison Radio and Spectrum FM, but did not leave the BBC entirely.

His programme A Jolly Good Show stayed on the World Service until 2001 and in 2011 an unlikely fan emerged in the shape of Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Travis was first arrested in October 2012 under Operation Yewtree, Scotland Yard's investigation into historic sexual abuse in the wake of allegations against Sir Jimmy Savile

Travis was first arrested in October 2012 under Operation Yewtree, Scotland Yard’s investigation into historic sexual abuse in the wake of allegations against Sir Jimmy Savile

Along with his love of broadcasting, Travis has also spoken of his passion for photography.

In his private life, Travis married Swedish girlfriend Marianne in 1971.

The couple reared pigs and chickens in the home counties, with Marianne often accompanying Travis to his guest appearances and DJ slots.

The court was told his arrest and subsequent court cases have left him facing financial ruin and have forced him to sell his house

, during his first trial Travis admitted that he had given in to ‘temptation’ more than once during his career, as he enjoyed the celebrity status being a Radio 1 DJ afforded him.

During his two trials, both defence and prosecution witnesses alike described the 6ft 1in-tall defendant as a ‘ giant’ and ‘larger than life’ character who enjoyed giving bear hugs to all he met.

When asked to describe himself during the first case, he told jurors to much amusement: ‘I have never said, in my life, that I am a sex symbol. No, I am a big, hairy, cuddly bear.’

Jurors heard that Travis’s career dramatically ground to a halt when he was arrested in October 2012, with his defence barrister Stephen Vullo QC saying the former star was ‘finished’ and his reputation ‘totally ruined’.

BBC MAY BE SUED FOR FAILING TO STOP HIM

The BBC now faces being sued for its failure to hold Dave Lee Travis to account while he worked there.

The Mrs Merton Show assault occurred at the BBC’s Manchester studios, and at least one of the eight women he was cleared of assaulting at his first trial now plans to take civil action against him. Lawyers said the fact that DLT has been acquitted of 14 charges was no barrier to a civil action.

Yesterday solicitor Liz Dux, whose firm Slater & Gordon is representing several women allegedly assaulted by Travis, said: ‘Each case would be judged individually. Any victim pursuing a civil claim would pursue both Travis and the BBC – they would be jointly liable with him for his acts.’

A civil court would be entitled to find Travis and the BBC liable on the ‘balance of probabilities’, rather than ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ required for a criminal conviction.

Last night a spokesman for the BBC said: ‘The BBC is appalled by the crime Dave Lee Travis has been convicted of.’ She added: ‘We can’t comment on potential civil claims.’

One thought on “this conviction is only the tip of the iceberg dave lee travis may not go down for long for this but there is a queue of others waiting to step forward and get justice whether it be in a crimminal court or civil.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s